Hung out at Tamagawadai Park (多摩川台公園 Tamagawadai Kōen) today. Ate and drank with some old friend and saw their new son. All of this on top of a kofun (burial mound) which I didn’t know we were on the whole time until we left.
- 日焼け (hiyake) : sun burn, sun tan
- 日焼け止め (hiyakedome) : sunscreen, sun tan lotion
- 蝎 (sasori) : scorpion
- 競争 (kyousou) : competition
- 呪物 (jyubutsu) : fetish
Repotted a bunch of plants today and found a beetle larvae in some of the dirt. We brought it down to the park and made sure it got comfortable in the dirt. Some friends came up from south Tokyo to say hi. We all went to スシロー(sushi row) and ate tons of sushi.
- ギリギリ (giri giri) : at the last moment, just barely, in the knick of time
- 当たる (ataru) : to be hit, to strike
- インチキ (inchiki) : cheating, fake, bogus
- 植木鉢 (uekibachi) : flower pot, plant pot
- 槌 (tsuchi) : hammer
- ベストフレンド (besutofurendo) : best friend
Found a cool list of free art galleries in Tokyo at Tokyo Cheapo. For sure I have to check out the one in the school, the bathhouse, and the old building in Ginza.
- 美術館 (bijutsukan) : art gallery, art museum
- 誘う(sasou) : to invite
The Japanese dictionary app I use, called Japanes, saves your word search history for the day. It ends up turning into an abstract journal.
Words for 05/17:
- おまかせ (omakase ) : leave it up to someone
- ころす (korosu) : to kill
- 数学 (suugaku) : math, mathematics
Taken out of context, today’s list make it look like I am going to leave it up to someone how to figure out how to kill someone.
I have explanations for why I looked up each word and am able to piece together the day by the definitions.
Having apps like Google Maps and Apple Maps showing transit information is amazing. Just be sure to take their best routes results with a grain of salt.
When I run a search for routes using Apple Maps, Google Maps, and popular Japanese transit app Jorudan without messing with the settings the results are all over the map*:
Takenotsuka (Tokyo) >> Ota (Gunma)
- Google Maps: ¥2210, ¥2170, ¥2170
- Apple Maps: ¥1477, ¥1477, ¥1277
- Jorudan (eng/日本語): ¥1737, ¥967
Takenotsuka >> NishiMagome
- Google Maps: ¥570,¥570,¥760,¥610
- Apple Maps: ¥557, ¥773, ¥557, ¥557, ¥557
- Jorudan (eng/日本語): ¥570, ¥570, ¥780
Even when I run a search with Jorudan and compare the results between English and Japanese, the results vary too.
Takenotsuka >> NishiMagome
- English: ¥570, ¥570, ¥780
- Japanese: ¥557, ¥566, ¥769
It isn’t a crazy difference but the further you go, it adds up. I am finding that looking at the routes on Apple Maps to see where things are and then finding the cheapest fare with Jorudan is the deal.
* pun intended
I have never gotten through airport customs faster than today at Narita airport. Must have landed at a lucky time.
Checked into The Gate Hotel and then walked around Asakusa.
We got ramen at つけ麺屋 利平 (Tsukemen Shop Rihei). It was a really solid bowl of shoyu ramen. It had thick ramen noodles and the shoyu broth was slightly creamy.
Went back to the hotel and hung out on the 14th floor terrace and had a couple drinks. The Terrace closed so we hung out in the room.
Overheard on the intercom at the gate for my flight…
“Sorry if there was any confusion when you got to this gate. Since American Airlines is renting the gate from Delta, they won’t let us use the digital signs.”